Who is it for :
The course is designed for registered and enrolled nurses from all health sectors, who are engaged in providing wound care to patients or residents.
This is an in-depth review of pathophysiology, pharmacology, assessment strategies, clinical aetiologies and interventions.
Key learning outcomes :
- Review the anatomy & physiology of the skin
- Examine the process of wound healing
- Identify factors which negatively impact on wound repair
- Detail a patient and wound assessment strategy using the HEIDI and TIME models
- Discuss recent developments in debridement and wound bed preparation
- Investigate a strategy and various tools for dressing selection
- Consider updates in both the aetiologies and clinical practice associated with skin tears, pressure injury and diabetic foot injury
- Discuss the current theories and practice recommendations involving wound infection and biofilm
- Examine advances in Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
- View emerging therapies and devices aimed to advance wound care provision and outcomes
Biography Gary Bain RN MClinEd BN DipApSc MACN
Gary led the launch and implementation of the Wound Management Service for the Sydney Adventist Hospital and directed the nurse-led outpatient Wound Clinic for 25 years, prior to leaving the Hospital in 2015. Currently in private practice, The Wound Guy provides education to medical, nursing, allied-health and product-industry personnel. He also provides clinical support to patients and their clinicians in the aged care, primary care and community sectors. These activities are conducted concurrently with his present role as educator and nurse consultant in wound management at the Mt Wilga Private Hospital (Rehabilitation Centre).
Gary has memberships with Wounds Australia, HEMI Advanced Wound Care Network and the Australian College of Nursing. He maintains strong relationships with and regularly supports all corporate members of the wound care product industry. He liaises with and presents for professional organisations such as the Lindsay Leg Club, Ausmed Education, the Australian College of Nursing, the Australian Practice Nurse Association and the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, as well as philanthropic groups such as the Rodmell Fund for Aged Care Education.
Gary undertook his undergraduate training at Avondale College, obtaining a Diploma of Applied Science (Nursing). He obtained a Bachelor of Nursing through the University of Technology Sydney, combining this with a Burns and Plastics Nursing Certificate from the Royal North Shore & Concord Hospitals, completing his tertiary studies at the School of Medicine, University of NSW with a Masters Degree in Clinical Education. He has fulfilled the roles of Nursing Unit Manager, Nurse Educator and Clinical Nurse Consultant working in countries including Australia, Fiji and New Zealand.Gary is passionate about maintaining his own professional development, expanding his knowledge and skill base. In addition to acting as an educator and clinical advisor, he is also regularly utilised as a Master of Ceremonies and Meeting Chair in health professional meetings and events, across Australia and New Zealand.
Sign in or create an account to secure your place today.
Please log in to your membership account using the My ACN drop down box on our website.
If you have never enrolled into one of our online courses, you will need to “create a new account” following the prompts.
If you have previously enrolled, you can log on using your previous username and password.
Southbank, Queensland 4000
Google map and directions