- A professional association devoted solely to the professional needs and interests of Nurses.
- Membership is exclusive to employee Registered Nurses, Midwives, Nurse Practitioners and Enrolled Nurses - Allied Health Professionals and other hospital employees may join as affiliates.
- Meets the needs of Nurse Registration
- No party political involvement means the focus is on member needs and lower costs
- Association structure empowers members and branches
- The Constitution and By-Laws decentralise the power and keep policy development processes open
Legal Representation & Industrial Support
Members and affiliates have expert professional industrial backup alongside the NPAQ Professional Indemnity Insurance policy.
Appropriately qualified and skilled personnel will support any workplace related matter involving compliance to legislation such as entitlements, bullying and harassment, workplace health and safety or Workcover issues in accordance with By-Laws.
As a member you also have access to discounted non-work related legal advice - and there is no charge for the first phone call. Contact our Hotline to find out more.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
All eligible members and affiliate members in both private and public sector are covered by the NPAQ Professional Indemnity insurance policy (see Certificate of Currency for further details). This includes:
- registered and enrolled employee nurses (some restrictions on midwives)
- ancillary and related services to the health industry - care workers, assistants in nursing, administration, orderlies
- paramedics ambulance officers
- dental nurses
- allied health professionals - physiotherapist, podiatrists, psychologists
- alternative or natural therapists - acupuncture, aromatherapy, naturopathy, massage and reflexology
- training, education and voluntary work in nursing
- self-employed / contractors are not covered by our policy - our hotline can point you in the right direction.
Financial members are automatically covered for up to $10 million, or $20 million in the aggregate. At this time our policy does not cover midwives during the birthing process - however watch this space.
There is no excess for financial members.
Public Liability Insurance
All eligible members and affiliate members as described above are covered for public liability to $10 million (see Certificate of Currency for further details).
Membership for Nurses and Affiliate options
Only Registered Nurses, Midwives and Enrolled Nurses may hold the status of Member.
Also, we meet the needs allied health professionals, and all other hospital and health care employees. They may join as affiliates which entitles them to the same Professional Indemnity Insurance coverage, legal backup and support services as Members. The only limitation is that they cannot become a delegate and gain voting rights for the Association.
Enterprise Bargaining & Professional Working Conditions
- Skilled negotiating of Enterprise Agreements at branch, regional and state levels
- Development and management of policy, procedures and systems
- Identifying, promoting and advocating professional issues to the media and government at state and national level
No Party Politics
No members funds can be used for any party political purpose or to support any political party.
With no class wars to fight, no party political agendas to fulfil, no ideological barrows to push and no exorbitant executive salaries to pay, NPAQ is designed exclusively to look after its members' interests and to provide a mechanism for broad-based policy development that has the potential to enhance members' careers.