Below we list events that may be of interest to our members:
Personal Care Attendants (PCA), Assistants in Nursing (AIN), and other carers in aged care are crucial to the wellbeing of older people. Attend this seminar and improve your understanding of:
- How pressure ulcers develop and how to prevent them
- Why skin is an important measure of health
- Why deterioration occurs and what to do
- Why falls happen, their consequences, and how to prevent them
- Feeding and nutrition
- Talking appropriately with residents and relatives
- Elder abuse
Don’t miss this timely seminar. Book now!
Need for Program
PCAs, AINs, and other carers now represent the main workforce in aged care. The increasing complexity of the special needs of older adults is resulting in a greater demand for more comprehensive quality care. Today’s aged care workforce demands caregivers to have fitting and high calibre skills and knowledge to ensure the wellbeing of this vulnerable population.
Purpose of Program
The purpose of this seminar is to provide PCAs, AINs, and other carers who work in residential and community aged care with new knowledge and skills relating to the comprehensive care of older adults.
Your Learning Outcomes
- Older adults whose condition is deteriorating will be rapidly identified and the appropriate action initiated
- Meaningful conversations between residents, relatives and staff will be enhanced
- Pressure injuries in older adults will be prevented as a result of improved knowledge of skin health
- Residents requiring assistance with feeding will be properly nourished to maintain their wellbeing
Modern midwifery is increasingly demanding. Rapid social changes and new evidence are affecting the way that midwives practice. Attend this annual Ausmed Education event to explore some of these challenges. Take time out to network with like-minded colleagues. Learn about:
- The power of using the best-available evidence
- New clinical practices that enhance mother and baby outcomes
- Practical tips to support your professional wellbeing
- Professional issues relevant to midwifery practice and much, much more…
This Ausmed event is always highly evaluated and very popular. It is relevant to all midwives who work in any setting, offering you a wonderful opportunity to ensure your knowledge does not slip. Don’t miss out – book now!
Hosted by Queensland Alliance for Mental Health and A Pathway to Wellness
The theme for the conference is “A Pathway to Wellness: Being the Front Line of Community Mental Health”. To support the theme, the conference program will encompass the following:
- Collaboration and partnerships
- Clinical and workforce
- Disruption and innovation.
Our core objectives will align with the aims of the Queensland Connecting Care to Recovery and the 5th National Mental Health Plan through:
- Promoting the value of consumer rights and social inclusion
- Generating debate about emerging national and state policy, planning and funding directions and developments
- Facilitating connections and collaborations in the Queensland Community Mental Health Sector
- Showcasing innovative models of practice.
Unlock the Mysteries of the Baltics and Wound Management
Everything you have ever wanted to know about wound care management #nurses #woundcare
16 June - 25 June 2019
Join us for the Fabulous World of Wounds Conference aboard the Norwegian Getaway as we explore the Baltics leaving from Copenhagen, Denmark.
Discover the splendours of Copenhagen, Berlin, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.
The Nurses for Nurses Network has created a nine-module Wound Management Program, called the Fabulous World of Wounds and we will be delivering Modules 2 and 4 at this Conference.
The content provides the Nurse with the skill and knowledge to assess, plan, and manage wounds in the clinical setting, to achieve the best possible outcome for the client.
All Nurses, irrespective of the workplace, need to understand wound management and be able to provide clinical support and /or advice to a patient. In addition, Registered Nurses need to have comprehensive wound management knowledge to provide advice and/or direct other members of the clinical team in wound management.
This is an exceptional opportunity to cover this level of expert content in such a fabulous conference setting.
More Info: https://www.nursesfornurses.com.au/events/227/Unlock-the-Mysteries-of-the-Baltics-and-Wound-Management?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Events%20Monthly%20newsletter%20August%202018%20-%20Sue&utm_content=Events%20Monthly%20newsletter%20August%202018%20-%20Sue+CID_6cd3fce8f8e17e8c79cef35fd4f46000&utm_source=NfN%20Enews%20Campaigns&utm_term=Click%20for%20more%20information
HOW TO BE A NURSING LEADER OF THE 21ST CENTURY
Do you want to lead a team that delivers an exceptional health consumer experience and meets key organisational goals?
Business and healthcare is an awkward mix – this conference aims to equip you with the “soft” and “hard” skills that you need to triumph in this challenging role. If you are a current or aspiring NUM or Nurse Manager of a health service, learn the leadership skills you need to deliver an engaged, dynamic, well-integrated team of Nurses.
The program content is provided by expert Nurse Educators with extensive clinical and education experience. The education content provided in this program meets the same exacting standards as anything offered in an Australian land-based program.
No matter what conference you attend you always need accommodation – a cruise ship provides a great all-inclusive* accommodation option to enhance your Conference experience.
The Nurses for Nurses Network combines great education with fabulous travel adventures. We have taken a holistic approach to Nursing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) to ensure you get the most out of your education-travel experience.
Below is a snapshot of the Conference Program, the full Program can be found further down this page.
DAY 1: 06 July 2019 | Depart Sydney
Make sure you are up on deck to be a part of the “setting sail” festivities as we say farewell to Sydney.
Evening: Enjoy this opportunity to mingle with the other attendees at the complimentary drinks and Conference Registration function.
DAY 2: 07 July 2019 | At Sea
DAY 3: 08 July 2019 | At Sea
DAY 4: 09 July 2019 | Noumea
DAY 5: 10 July 2019 | Mare
DAY 6: 11 July 2019 | The Isle of Pines
DAY 7: 12 July 2019 | At Sea
DAY 8: 13 July 2019 | At Sea
DAY 9: 14 July 2019 | Arrive Sydney
How to be a Nursing Leader of the 21st Century
Editor: Sue Walker
If you are a current or aspiring NUM or Nurse Manager of a health service, learn the leadership skills you need to deliver an engaged, dynamic, well-integrated team of Nurses.
Business and healthcare is an awkward mix - this conference aims to equip you with the “soft” and “hard” skills that you need to triumph in this challenging role.
Conference Learning Outcomes:
- Understand your own leadership and management values and develop your professional career plan to get the job you want
- Learn about transformational leadership and how to build an inspired culture of learning and innovation
- Discover the future trends of health care delivery and what skills will be needed to manage in this changed environment
- Comprehend and apply practical management skills to deliver organisational results
This conference will provide the attendee with 24 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The venue for the conference is the Carnival Spirit as the ship cruises the South Pacific. The Conference venue will provide the conference attendee the fabulous opportunity to explore the beautiful South Pacific destinations outside of conference hours.
The education content provided in this program meets the same exacting standards as anything offered in an Australian land-based program. What we have done is marry best practice content with a cruise ship conference venue to provide you with a Travel CPD experience, where the conference content is as important as your need for rest and relaxation. Nurses spend their lives looking after others – this conference venue looks after the Nurse for a change.
Want to find out more? https://www.nursesfornurses.com.au/events/231/How-to-be-a-Nursing-Leader-of-the-21st-Century?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Members%20fortnightly%20newsletter%20Sue%2030092018&utm_content=Members%20fortnightly%20newsletter%20Sue%2030092018+CID_6f2c07dfdbff73a25028c892011b953e&utm_source=NfN%20Enews%20Campaigns&utm_term=click%20here
The 12-hour Standard Mental Health First Aid course will teach Nurses and other Health Care Professionals how to offer initial support to adults who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis, until appropriate mental health services can be accessed, or the crisis resolves.
There will also be a number of staff in the workplace who will also experience a mental illness in the next 12 months and your service will need to have the resources to identify those that may need support and ongoing assistance.
In the workplace Mental Health First Aid works the same as physical first aid – most organisations are training a number of key personnel to become Workplace Mental Health First Aiders who can identify, support, and assist their clients and colleagues during initial diagnosis and in times of crises.
What the Course Covers:
Course participants learn about the signs and symptoms of the common and disabling mental health problems, how to provide initial help, identify appropriate mental health services to refer to, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
What the Course Covers:
Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
Course Learning Outcomes:
In this session you will:
- Gain skills to offer initial support to adults developing a mental health problem
- Gain skills to assist individuals with a worsening mental health problem
- Gain skills to assist an individual in a mental health crisis
- Explore the use of these skills in your current clinical practice
Course participants receive a copy of the Standard MHFA Manual to keep and a Certificate of Completion as evidence of their continuing CPD requirements.
- Participants who complete this training are eligible to complete an online Accreditation Assessment in order to receive a Mental Health First Aider Certificate of Accreditation valid for 3 years.
- Any interested Nurse or other health professionals can attend.
- This course is not a therapy or support group, rather it is an education course to learn how to give mental health first aid support to others.
- Numbers to this course are limited to a maximum of 30 participants.
Your Invitation to Participate
On behalf of the conference organising committee, we are proud to announce the 2019 CRANAplus 37th Conference.
The conference will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley in New south Wales from 18 – 20 September 2019.
The Conference theme for 2019 is “Embracing Diversity to build Stronger Connections”
Abstract submissions and registrations will open early in 2019.
Further information will be released on this website when it becomes available.
Who Should Attend the CRANAplus Conferences
- Remote and isolated health professionals
- Remote or isolated health and community Service Providers
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health services
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Researchers and education providers
- Professional bodies & associations
- State, Territory & Local Governments
More Info: http://www.cranaconference.com/
Building Rapport with Children
An introduction to incorporating child play as a communication tool into healthcare #nurses #paediatrics
27 October - 3 November 2019
This Travel CPD Conference is brought to you in partnership with Education at Sea. The focus of the Conference is developing your clinical play skills to effectively communicate and interact with children in your care, so that the children and their parents feel less anxious and more confident in the provision of their individualised health care plan.
All Nurses see paediatric clients at some time and no matter what area of Nursing you work in (e.g. Acute Care, A&E, ICU, Theatre, Medical Imaging or Paediatrics) you are going to come across children who are unable or unwilling to communicate like an adult patient can.
If you can learn to talk and play, then you exponentially increase your literacy skills so you can communicate to children and adults in creative, playful yet effective ways. To do this you will need to learn about how children develop sequentially and holistically.
The Transforming Role of the Perioperative Nurse
27 October - 3 November 2019
This Perioperative Conference is intended to provide the Nurse with an opportunity to enhance and develop their skills and knowledge relating to key areas of the perioperative environment. The conference program presents current perioperative topics of significance and explores the latest Nursing research to create a conference experience that the perioperative Nurse will find both interesting and relevant.
Perioperative Nursing is practised in an intense, fast-paced environment, and this conference aims to improve Nursing knowledge and healthcare outcomes through expert teaching sessions with a focus on evidence-based practice.
Conference Learning Outcomes:
- Explore the latest research updates that will influence the area of perioperative Nursing practice
- Investigate how communication, leadership, and team building can impact the perioperative environment for both the Nurse and the patient
- Review the ACORN standards and apply the principles to real-world situations
- Consider the wellbeing of the perioperative Nurse and identify strategies to enhance the work experience of this specialist Nursing cohort
This Conference provides attendees 18 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The venue for the Conference is the Norwegian Bliss, a most fabulous Conference venue where you can explore key destinations along the Mexican Riviera outside the Conference program hours.
What's included in Your Conference Registration:
- An extensive Conference program based on current best practice information equating to 18 CPD Hours
- Education content that meets the same exacting standards as anything offered in an Australian land-based program
- Conference Presenters that are recognised experts in their field and are excited to be able to share their skill, knowledge, and passion with Conference Attendees
- An online Conference library filled to the brim with educational content that allows you to create your own learning experience by completing pre-conference education activities
- A Registration Reception including complimentary drinks where you can meet other Conference Attendees and network with Conference Convenors and Conference Presenter/s
- Editable presentation-note handouts that can be downloaded to your device of choice or printed, whichever you choose
- A Conference satchel that includes a notepad, pen, lanyard (this is important on a cruise ship to attach your room key which becomes your lifeline on a ship) and additional information to support a fantastic Conference experience
- The opportunity to meet as a group in various open forums, in one of the many fabulous locations on the ship
- A complimentary Farewell Drinks and Canapes Function held on the last night of the Conference to celebrate new friendships and information gained
- A Conference Transcript that identifies each session held at the Conference including the session synopsis, session presenter, and CPD allocation
- A Certificate of Completion identifying the CPD hours attached to the Conference Program for you to include in your CPD Evidence Portfolio
More Info: https://www.nursesfornurses.com.au/events/235/The-Transforming-Role-of-the-Perioperative-Nurse?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Events%20Monthly%20newsletter%20August%202018%20-%20Sue&utm_content=Events%20Monthly%20newsletter%20August%202018%20-%20Sue+CID_6cd3fce8f8e17e8c79cef35fd4f46000&utm_source=NfN%20Enews%20Campaigns&utm_term=Click%20for%20more%20information