The 12-hour Standard Mental Health First Aid course will teach Nurses and other Health Care Professionals how to offer initial support to adults who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis, until appropriate mental health services can be accessed, or the crisis resolves.
There will also be a number of staff in the workplace who will also experience a mental illness in the next 12 months and your service will need to have the resources to identify those that may need support and ongoing assistance.
In the workplace Mental Health First Aid works the same as physical first aid – most organisations are training a number of key personnel to become Workplace Mental Health First Aiders who can identify, support, and assist their clients and colleagues during initial diagnosis and in times of crises.
What the Course Covers:
Course participants learn about the signs and symptoms of the common and disabling mental health problems, how to provide initial help, identify appropriate mental health services to refer to, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
What the Course Covers:
Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
Course Learning Outcomes:
In this session you will:
- Gain skills to offer initial support to adults developing a mental health problem
- Gain skills to assist individuals with a worsening mental health problem
- Gain skills to assist an individual in a mental health crisis
- Explore the use of these skills in your current clinical practice
Course participants receive a copy of the Standard MHFA Manual to keep and a Certificate of Completion as evidence of their continuing CPD requirements.
- Participants who complete this training are eligible to complete an online Accreditation Assessment in order to receive a Mental Health First Aider Certificate of Accreditation valid for 3 years.
- Any interested Nurse or other health professionals can attend.
- This course is not a therapy or support group, rather it is an education course to learn how to give mental health first aid support to others.
- Numbers to this course are limited to a maximum of 30 participants.
130 Takalvan St
Bundaberg, QLD 4670
Google map and directions